Re: Obituary

At 08:08 AM 01/18/2000 , Dewey wrote:
>It is with deep regret that tell you about the passing of an Icon.  Dr.
>Monroe Birdsey died this last week-end.  He passed in his sleep due to
>Cardiac Arrest.   He had not been feeling too well for the last few weeks
>but would not go to the Hospital as he was advised.  This was true to his

i am so  grateful i had the chance to meet him! He was a great fella and
yes, most generous,  and a jolly sort! his children palms are standing over
my head now, grown from his seed. I guess he was one of the three people
who were so NICE to me when i phoned them out of the blue, some 25 years
ago, and said, hello, i am a perfect stranger living in Boston and growing
rare palms under fluorescent lights...and....he treated me like an old
friend and immediately sent off a care package of seeds. I found him in the
membership list of the Palm Society.
i am sure the number of folks who knew him up close and person will be
SIMPLY ENORMOUS. he is a great loss, and a swell guy. i am glad he went easy.

he really MATTERED.