Dr. Monroe Birdsey

I am still in shock over Monroe's death.  I spoke with him the beginning of
week just to check on him.  He did not sound like Monroe, I thought I was
talking to a complete stranger, but I kept telling myself, "It is Monroe."
Little did I realize that it would be my last conversation with him.  At the
time of our conversation, he was complaining about back problems, and general
unease.  I had no idea that things were going wrong with his system.  He will
truly be missed.  I will miss his wit and charm, but most of all his enormous
intellect.   It is truly a sad time for us in the plant world.  The man was
truly respected (though not always understood).

Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, FL