Re: Alocasia ID? Or Xanthosoma?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Alocasia ID? Or Xanthosoma?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 22:59:07 -0600 (CST)

-----Original Message-----
From: Adao Pereira <miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Friday, January 21, 2000 2:37 PM
Subject: Alocasia ID? Or Xanthosoma?

Dear Miguel,
I believe your plant is Alocasia macorrhiza.  It is NOT a species of
Xanthosoma!!
Cheers,
Julius
ju-bo@msn.com

>>Hello all!

Does anyone know which species is the Alocasia that is commonly cultivated
throughout Europe? It has big leaves about 1 meter in length and it produces
several flowers in summer, the spathe is white, about 20 cm long. I uploaded
two photos of mine:

http://planeta.clix.pt/welwitschia/unid1.jpg

http://planeta.clix.pt/welwitschia/unid2.jpg

Or is this a Xanthosoma?