Re: Dracunculus canariensis

Paul Tyerman wrote:
> Howdy All,
> I have a query about Dracunculus.  I know of Dracunculus vulgaris and
> according to one of my books there is a white form called "Schortt" or
> something like that (white with a black spadix).  Is this actually
> Dracunculus canariensis?
> If not, can someone give me details on Drac. canariensis?
Hi Paul,

There are two Dracunculus species. D.vulgaris and D.canariensis.
D.vulgaris does have a white form that hails from somewhere on Crete. It
is a beautiful plant and I have been trying for ever to get it. Alas it
eludes me.
The word 'Schott' refers to the author (describer) of D.vulgaris and is
not a species/subspecies/variety name.
Dracunculus canariensis hails from the Canary Islands and is an elegant
plant with
pale green unmottled stems and leaves and a tall sweet scented, pale
creamy lemon infloresence . In Aus. it grows the same time as
D.vulgaris...comes up in winter and dies down in December. It should
grow well in Canberra if you don't get too many of your vicious frosts.
It grows so easily for me I have always got spares if you fancy some.

Anybody out there got the white D.vulgaris ?? Name your price !

Rob McClure
Department of Biological Sciences
Monash University (Clayton Campus)
Victoria Australia 3800