Re: Chocolate Anthurium? Red Beauty or Ecuador 2000

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Chocolate Anthurium? Red Beauty or Ecuador 2000
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:59:28 -0600 (CST)

Dear Jay and Fellow Aroiders:

I grow that Anthurium Red Beauty. The Plant is from Rancho Tissue
Technologies in California.
Although I have no personal knowledge of its true background it could
possibly be F2 hybrid of veitchii x andraeanum which has been sibling
mated or back crossed to the andraeanum side of the group. Randy at
Agristarts informed me that he had a similar plant in culuture which
came from a grower in the Tampa area of
Florida who said he bred it from something he found...Possibly A. Red
Beauty which has been out in the industry for 3 years or another
veitchii x andraeanum cross. I am not sure why the hybridization of the
veitchii on andraeanum gives us this bronzy burgundy red foliage,
however it also gives us very short peduncles on the inflorescence. Not
a great quality for people who like their inflorescence above the
leaves. I don't think that Randy at Agristarts has any liners of his red
leafed plant ready yet. You can probably go to his web site
<agristarts.com>.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens