[aroid-l] Greetings

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Greetings
  • From: "Masterson's" masterson4@cox.net
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:47:56 -0800

Hello to everyone on the Aroid-l list!  I am new to the list and new to aroids.  I am and have been a gardener at the San Diego Wild Animal Park for twenty-five years so I am not new to gardening.  My interests in plant groups include palms, cycads, ferns, bulbs, and aloes.  It is my interest in summer dormant aloes and bulbs that has led me here to the Aroid-l list.

I would like very much to grow aroids in the ground here in Southern California.  The species from the Mediterranean and Middle East are of the greatest interest to me.  I believe I will have the most success with plants from a climate similar to mine.   I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the outdoor cultivation of aroids in a Mediterranean climate.  I have  questions about exposure, summer irrigation, fertilizer, gopher protection, transplanting, etc.  I am also wondering how best to acquire plants since almost none are available at local nurseries.   Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much!

Mike Masterson
Escondido, California