Re: [aroid-l] Greetings

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Greetings
  • From: Dan Levin levin@pixar.com
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 19:05:58 -0800

Mike,

Hope you're still out there, and a belated welcome to aroid-l.
There are at least a few of us growing in Mediterranean climates;
maybe even a few actually in the Mediterranean region!  I'm north
of you, in the east bay hills of the San Francisco area.  I suspect my
part of the world may be more influenced by the Pacific Ocean than
yours, and undoubtedly a bit cooler all around (Sunset zone 16); but
I can hopefully offer you some starting points at least.

I'd be happy to share with you any information which might be
helpful- perhaps this would best be addressed off list (?) due to
the specificity of the topic.

I will say there are many good sources for temperate growing aroids.
Besides some great nurseries (Plant Delights, e.g.), you might consider
joining the Arisaema Enthusiasts Group- who sponsor a seed bank;
local/ regional botanical gardens often have plant sales; plus there are
many members of the IAS who are willing to sell or trade plants and
even a few members who are happy to give them away.  Check out the
IAS web site's <Aroid Links> section (scroll down) for one source list
at:  http://www.aroid.org/links/
The trick is knowing ahead of time which plants are most suitable-
plus a willingness to experiment with your micro climes; keeping
in mind that many high altitude "tropical" aroids can successfully
be coerced to grow in our climate with a little TLC.

Please feel free to drop me a line, and once again: welcome!

  -Dan Levin