Re: [aroid-l] Literature

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Literature
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 11:44:26 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Wilbert Hetterscheid <hetter@worldonline.nl>
To: 'Aroid-l' <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 2:58 AM
Subject: [aroid-l] Literature

Dear Wilbert and ALL Aroid Friends far and near,

First of all let me take this opportunity to wish all on the list a Happy
and Prosperous New Year.

There is an ISBN number in this new book, it is ISBN  1  84246  036  6, and
is located on an inner front page opposite the 'Contents' page.
It certainly is a wonderful new book, it lists and all described species of
all recognised Aroid gerera, and there are very informative discussions on
all genera.   Some good old botanical illustrations are interspersed
throughout.   All synonomies are listed.
There appear to be a very few errors, but this is understandable in a volume
of this size and scope, and also because of the many contributors over many
years.    In addition to the principal authors Rafael Govaerts and David G.
Frodin, other contributors are listed as Josef Bogner, Julius Boos, Peter
Boyce, Beth Crosgriff, Thomas Croat, Eduardo Goncalves, Michael Grayum,
Alistair Hay, Wilbert Hetterscheid, Elias Landolt, Simon Mayo, Jin Murata,
Nguyen Van Du, Cassia M. Sakuragui, Yashica Singh, Sue Thompson and Guanghua
Zua.     So many/most of the Aroid researchers had a hand in the compilation
of all this knowledge!
I recomend it to anyone with a yearning to learn more about this wonderful
family of plants.

I rarely see any announcements here on the list or anywhere else of new
aroid literature (unless I am to blame for not having seen it) but here is a
book some of you might want to have:

Govaerts, R. & D.G. Frodin. 2002. World Checklist and Bibliography of
Araceae (and Acoraceae). Published by the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew.

The main goof is that there is no mention of an ISBN number. I find that
strange because I thought that no scientific book can be published these
days anymore without it.

Anyway, for you people who want to collect e.g. all 713 Anthurium species
(and be haunted down and locked up immediately), here you can find all names
of the species you still need to get your hands on........... Happy