Fw: [aroid-l] New cultivated Philodendron.

  • Subject: Fw: [aroid-l] New cultivated Philodendron.
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 05:22:24 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: ju-bo <To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 7:32 PM
Subject: Re: [aroid-l] New cultivated Philodendron.

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 8:37 AM

Dear Paul,

There are no NATURALLY occuring Philodendrons in Australia, but many years
ago a couple that lived in Australia, the Winterbourns, claimed that a
single plant of a VERY distinctive Philodendron grew amongst a batch of P.
bipinn. ('selloum') seed, this single plant, with the 'help' of tissue
culture, has become perhaps the best-selling Aroid produced by tissue
culture, it is marketed as Philodendron Xanadu.    There should be an
article in the next Aroideana about this plant, look out for it folks!

Good Growing,

>>>is several years old.   .If anyone has or can get information from
>labs about the origin of the new Philodendron 'Showboat', is it another
>'find' from somewhere beside Australia, or is it just an 'outtake' on
>Xanadu, perhaps selected because of the slight differences seen from the
>millions of tissue cultured plants of Xanadu??    Any information from
>anyone with a contact at Twyford`s will be greatly appreciated.

Have some of the philodendrons come from Australia?  I am intrigued by your
reference to being "somewhere beside Australia" as I didn't realise that
some originated from here.  I really don't know a great deal about the
tropical aroids, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul Tyerman

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything
else that doesn't move!!!!!