Re: [aroid-l] New Colocasias at Winterberry

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] New Colocasias at Winterberry
  • From: "Derek Burch" derek@horticulturist.com
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:04:28 -0500

Brian, I am glad that you have owned up to starting yet another bunch of
wild names through the horticultural community. You didn't necessarily do
anything wrong, except that unless these are selections which you have made,
and which will be propagated vegetatively, you should not be using these
names in the "cultivar" form.
You can start all the common names you want  (e.g. Pink Princess colocasia),
but if you want to establish a cultivar name you should be registering it
with IAS as the International Registration Authority for aroids. This
involves a sensible description and, if possible, illustrations. It must
also appear in print in a distributed publication. The requirements are not
nearly as stringent as for naming a species (for example, publication in a
printed catalogue will suffice), but are still fairly definite.
Please try to get hold of the 'International Code of Nomenclature for
Cultivated Plants' and also contact the IAS registrar to explain anything
that you don't understand. You can also write to me off line if I can help
you (derek@horticulturist.com)

Derek