Re: [aroid-l] Taxonomy for horticulturalists available for

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Taxonomy for horticulturalists available for
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" mmarcotr@email.smith.edu
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:15:28 -0500

Wilbert - thank you so much. I have a lecture to give to my class on
this subject this Thursday. And free, just like your seed. Saint Wilbert
- sounds catchy.

_______________________________

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College
Lyman Conservatory, 15 College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
www.smith.edu/garden
www.science.smith.edu/~mmarcotr
"Art is the unceasing effort to compete with
     the beauty of flowers and never succeeding."
          Marc Chagall

>>> hetter@worldonline.nl 01/26/03 02:09AM >>>
Fellow aroiders,

As some of you know I have a "secret" life as taxonomist of cultivated
plants and have been developing some new ideas in this department as
well as
cooperating in writing up the Cultivated Plant Code. Recently a paper
was
published in the Horticultural Reviews (vol. 28) of which I am
co-author.
This paper was initiated by and is first-authored by the Chief Potatoe
(or
was that "potato"?) Taxonomist of the USA, dr. David Spooner of the
University of Wisconsin (where last year an Amorphophallus titanum
flowered!!!! I suspect a conspiracy here........). Together with him and
two
other Dutch colleagues we wrote a review paper on plant taxonomy from a
horticultural perspective and behold, you can get this 60 pages
(AUCH!!!)
paper for free on the internet when you follow the link:

http://www.wiley.com/cda/product/0,,0471215422,00.html

On that page click on "read exerpt" and you get a full scale PDF version
of
the paper.

The first half of the paper deals mostly with more general taxonomic
principles and terms, the second half deals more specifically with the
new
ideas of the taxonomy of cultivated ("domesticated") plants. This paper
may
not be everyone's beef of this discussion list but I know some of you
are
interested, so have fun with it.

Cheerio,
Wilbert (aka Lord P.)