Re: [aroid-l] Xanthosoma "roseum"

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Xanthosoma "roseum"
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:18:37 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <snalice@cnmnetwork.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 5:37 AM

Dear Friends,

Just a word and a quick note which I feel sure Eduardo will confirm re: the
cultivated Xanthosomas---CONFUSION.
At the moment here in S. Florida there are several Xanthosoma vars. being
sold as food CHEAP and by the lb. at Winn Dixie, Publix, and other food
stores.    There is the 'white' Xanthosoma grown in Miami, dear to us
Trinidadians heart because of its special texture when cooked.    Then there
is another labled as coming from Costa Rica that had brownish 'scales'
covering the growing tip that has a SLIGHT lilac 'tint' at the base of the
scales.   Then there is the 'red co co' sold mainly in Jamaican stores at a
substantially higher price.   Then there is the rarer yellow-fleshed one
sold in Hispanic stores, said to be a 'special' one used seasonally.
In an attempt to TRY to clear up some of the confusion surrounding these
plants, I am starting to buy and cultivate the different ones, my hope is to
grow them to flowering and photograph the blooms, tubers, etc. to assist
Eduardo in his research on this problematic group.   There are also number
of Colocasia var. tubers sold in some stores, the eddoes, and many (at least
three) vars. of dasheen or taro.
Meanwhile I suggest that we all ignore all these older publications like the
one quoted by our Susan (below) which vary a LOT in what they say, and all
or most freely admit that they know not what they say, adding to the
confusion!    All the ones I mention above make BEAUTIFUL plants, so just
grow and enjoy until someone like Eduardo can put names to this mish-mash of
plants grown as food!
Susan, there is a LOT of interest in these plants!    Note that the Mayan
word for Xanthosoma is written as 'tiquisque', but I have also seen it
written and also pronounced 'qi-ques-qe', so even this is not stable.

Good Growing!

Thank you for that information.  I appologize if no one is interested in
this subject, but I appreciate the
help given.

Here is a photo of X. sagittifolia and others that may be synonomous:

Xanthosoma sagittifolia:

Xanthosoma robustum:

Xanthosoma robustum. To me, the leaves look too collected to be the plant in
the black and white photo of X.
roseum, but this is a younger plant?  A leaf photo:

Xanthosoma roseum is refered to on one site (though it doesn't obviously say
which source this information
comes from) as 'rosey malanga' and 'elephant ear'.  Xanthosoma sagittifolium
in various cultivated edible forms
is refered to as 'tiquisque blanco and tiquisque colorado'....in Costa Rica.
Eduardo, you mention that the
true form of X. sattifolium it is also refered to as 'malanga-blanca'.  I'm
not sure what all this means but M.
H. Grayum says this in his description of Xanthosoma (You'll have to scroll
down to Xanthosoma where he
describes X. dealbatum; X. robustum; X. sagittifolium) site follows:

"Xanthosoma robustum is characterized by its erect, aerial stems, glaucous
foliage, naked posterior leaf ribs,
and uniformly greenish inner spathe tube surface. The infls. are the largest
of any CR Xanthosoma sp. This sp.
is most similar to X. undipes (with non-glaucous foliage and usually red
spathe tubes) and X. sagittifolium
(acaulescent and usually with winged posterior ribs). Indeed, the plants
treated here as X. robustum may prove
to represent merely robust individuals of X. sagittifolium."

X robustum and X. sagittifolium may end up being the same plant, but how
about X. roseum because he also says:

"Because the taxonomy and nomenclature of the cult. Xanthosoma are in such
chaos, a single, variable sp. is
here recognized, and the oldest available name is applied. Various cultivars
are represented in CR, e.g.,
tiquisque blanco and tiquisque colorado. Some names may prove to be
incorrecly synonymized here, such as
Xanthosoma roseum, typified by a Costa Rican collection".

So I guess it's X. sagittifolium that really I'm looking for?  Wasn't the
black and white photo taken in Costa
Rica?  I'd like to know more about the text book that included that photo if
anyone knows.  Brian, if you find
one of these before I do, I'm available to sell to.

Thanks Eduardo, Michael, and Brian,
Susan Cox