Re: [aroid-l] Xanthosoma "roseum"

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Xanthosoma "roseum"
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" edggon@hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:17:07 +0000

Dear Tom,

Yes, X. robustum is the only big Xanthosoma widespread in Mexico. I have seen it from Mexico City to Chiapas and probably it ranges down to Costa Rica. Xanthosoma roseum is not the older name. Xanthosoma robustum were described in 1853, whereas X. roseum was described in 1858. I am treating them as synonims, since the stated differences between them are within the variation range of X. robustum. Many species were determined as X. roseum, only because they have a pinkish spathe or a pinkish sterile portion of spadix. The feature is known for X. robustum, X. blandum, X. mafaffa and X. sagittifolia, so it is not a good diagnostic feature.

Very best wishes,

Dear Eduardo:

I have finally concluded that Xanthosoma robustum is widespread in
Mexico. I am treating it in my Flora del Bajia which is an area made up
partly of Colima, Guerrero and Michacan. It also ranges into Guatemala (and
probably all the way to Costa Rica according to Mike Grayum).
Are you saying that X. roseum is an older name and that it should take
precedence? We have material in our herbarium called X. roseum cultivated
in Hawaii which is not the same species (though I am uncertain of the
correctness of the determination).