Re: [aroid-l] amorph tuber rot problems

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] amorph tuber rot problems
  • From: "Petra Schmidt" petra@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 10:19:52 -0500

Hello Scott,
Are you letting the tubers dry off completely before placing them into cool
storage?  And have you tried storing them in warmer temperatures (what is
your cool storage temp?).   I've seen tuber rot become a real problem with
wet cold conditions during dormancy and even during the leaf collapsing
pre-dormancy stage; we're getting tubers out of ground beds or out of cool
wet growing conditions to let them dry off in dry warmth and light before
placing them into winter storage.  Our winter storage is about 45 degrees F
and dry.
Have you tried using a powder fungicide, instead of a drench, after harvest?
Again, keeping the tubers as dry as possible once they're out of the
ground/pots is critical, in my growing experience here in North Carolina...a
liquid drench at the end of the growing season would not be a good idea here
but coating the suspected problem tubers in powdered fungicide and letting
them dry off is a better option here.
Keep us posted, please...
Petra