RE: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber planting depth

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber planting depth
  • From: "michael mahan" agavestar@covad.net
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 11:11:58 -0800

The amorphophallus sp nova mahajanga that bloomed for me was planted about
10" down in a 10 gallon pot, the tuber was 9" across , the stem snapped at
about 2" above the soil line, just as the flower was starting to smell .it
is being housed in greenhouse with 84f days & 74f nites .as it didn't break
off completely the flower did produce pollen {had about 1/4 of the stem skin
still attached } .i think that I had gave it too much water when the
inflorence was 1st growing & had taken up too much water in to the flower
head .wind was not a facture ,it was not in the direct flow of the fans  . I
think in the wild they get no water till after they bloom & then they put
out the leaf when the local summer rains start. The tuber is now putting up
a new growth that is about 4 " above the soil ,I assume that it is now the
leaf coming up .  Mike Mahan / Novato CA