RE: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber planting depth

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber planting depth
  • From: Chipboy5399@cs.com
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:07:07 -0500

    Hello Michael, my flower also bent over but not till after the flower was totally spent.  I blamed it on the really strong winds we had.  Mine is outside.  After the leaf came up however, it is now winter and get nights down into the low 50's.  In there the leaf also bent over but fortuantely it had some support, so it did not bend and totally damaged it.  I propped it up and added some soil to the pot.  I wrote Dr. Hetterscheid to ask about the problem.  I have also gotten a letter from Bryan, and his did the same thing.  I was wondering it the plants possible either grew in dense underbrush and used that for support or just naturally grew deeply, more so than most, needing the petiole to have more support from soil.  I am hoping that Wilbert can shed some light on this.

"michael mahan" <agavestar@covad.net> wrote:

>The amorphophallus sp nova mahajanga that bloomed for me was planted about
>10" down in a 10 gallon pot, the tuber was 9" across , the stem snapped at
>about 2" above the soil line, just as the flower was starting to smell .it
>is being housed in greenhouse with 84f days & 74f nites .as it didn't break
>off completely the flower did produce pollen {had about 1/4 of the stem skin
>still attached } .i think that I had gave it too much water when the
>inflorence was 1st growing & had taken up too much water in to the flower
>head .wind was not a facture ,it was not in the direct flow of the fans  . I
>think in the wild they get no water till after they bloom & then they put
>out the leaf when the local summer rains start. The tuber is now putting up
>a new growth that is about 4 " above the soil ,I assume that it is now the
>leaf coming up .  Mike Mahan / Novato CA
Aroid-l mailing list