Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber planting depth

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber planting depth
  • From: Ken Mosher ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:14:26 -0500

It's been my own personal observation with plants in general that they don't need to be planted more deeply to make them stand up. Another inch or few of soil won't make any difference.

I think that either 1) it is a certain plant's natural characteristic to flop over, or 2) some other growing condition is not right.

I think that when my Amorphophallus sp nova mahajanga break dormancy I will provide the leaf with some support. How much sun are others giving this plant (and where are you)? How much would it get in habitat?

Chipboy5399@cs.com wrote:

Hello Michael, my flower also bent over but not till after the flower was totally spent. I blamed it on the really strong winds we had. Mine is outside. After the leaf came up however, it is now winter and get nights down into the low 50's. In there the leaf also bent over but fortuantely it had some support, so it did not bend and totally damaged it. I propped it up and added some soil to the pot. I wrote Dr. Hetterscheid to ask about the problem. I have also gotten a letter from Bryan, and his did the same thing. I was wondering it the plants possible either grew in dense underbrush and used that for support or just naturally grew deeply, more so than most, needing the petiole to have more support from soil. I am hoping that Wilbert can shed some light on this.

"michael mahan" <agavestar@covad.net> wrote:

The amorphophallus sp nova mahajanga that bloomed for me was planted about
10" down in a 10 gallon pot, the tuber was 9" across , the stem snapped at
about 2" above the soil line, just as the flower was starting to smell .it
is being housed in greenhouse with 84f days & 74f nites .as it didn't break
off completely the flower did produce pollen {had about 1/4 of the stem skin
still attached } .i think that I had gave it too much water when the
inflorence was 1st growing & had taken up too much water in to the flower
head .wind was not a facture ,it was not in the direct flow of the fans  . I
think in the wild they get no water till after they bloom & then they put
out the leaf when the local summer rains start. The tuber is now putting up
a new growth that is about 4 " above the soil ,I assume that it is now the
leaf coming up .  Mike Mahan / Novato CA