Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber planting depth

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus tuber planting depth
  • From: "Charles Osborne" oz@att.net
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:36:19 -0800

I have had great luck with common dragons up here in NW Oregon where they can grow like weeds. The first time I had one bend over, after a heavy rain, the stem was 4 cm in diameter and caused a major split. After placing stakes and securing it back up, I wrapped a few layers of duct tape around the injured section. The plant continued on to flower and set seed.

This has happened numerous times irrespective of planting depth. But, when they grow in high density patches of about a metre across, the inner plans all interlock and support each other and only the outer ones bend or snap. Nature, it seems, did not optimize for individual plants or low density rows...but stakes and duct tape can compensate.

(s.)Charles

----- Original Message[s] ----- From: <Chipboy5399@cs.com>
Hello Michael, my flower also bent over but not till after the flower was totally spent....
"michael mahan" <agavestar@covad.net> wrote:
The amorphophallus sp nova mahajanga that bloomed for me was planted about
10" down in a 10 gallon pot, the tuber was 9" across , the stem snapped at
about 2" above the soil line....

On Behalf Of Bryan Lampl
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 8:20 AM
In conversion with Rick Peters
about the Amorphophallus sp. mahajanga, we both noted that they appear to be
top heavy and are falling over....