Re: [Aroid-l] Intrageneric crossing?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Intrageneric crossing?
  • From: "Peter Boyce" botanist@malesiana.com
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:40:18 +0800

Hi Julius

I've looked at the Aglaonema/Dieffenbachia cross and am suspicious. I posted onto aroid-l but it's not popped up as yet. What I wrote was:

"Folks

I'm inclined to agree with Wilbert about the top and bottom image; certainly
the leaf emergence of the top image and the venation on the bottom look
'wrong'. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the bottom image reminds me
strongly of a member of the Rosaceae, Photinia x fraseri.

The middle image I'm not so sure about - to my eyes there are two 'aroidish'
inflorescence/infructescences in the middle of the leafy crown. I've tried
enlarging the image but he quality is too poor to reveal anything definite.

Aglaonema and Dieffenbachia are a fair distance apart in terms of
relationship. Curiously, if someone posted a claim of a Aglaonema x Anubias
or Aglaoneama x Nephthytis hybrid (or indeed Dieffenbachia x Gorgonidium!
(sorry Eduardo!) I'd be a lot less sceptical.

Pete
"