Re: [Aroid-l] Intrageneric crossing?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Intrageneric crossing?
  • From: "Peter Matthews" pjm@gol.com
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:40:55 +0900
  • Bounce-to: "Peter Matthews"

Dear Marek Argent et al,

The author of the Alocasia-Colocasia cross was Dr H. Yoshino, of Okayama
University, Okayama City, Japan.  The crossing was confirmed by DNA
analysis and cytology.

It is possible that the sterile F1 generation has been maintained
vegetively, but this (historically valuable) material and the entire
aroid collection at Okayama may be in danger due to the likely
retirement soon of the collector. Materials from the collection would
require quarantining as part of any redirection - there has been little
effective control over the entry of viruses into the collection, and
during its maintenance (outdoors in summer, under glass in winter).

Peter M.