Re: [Aroid-l] Intrageneric crossing?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Intrageneric crossing?
  • From: Tony Avent tony@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:31:38 -0500

Dear Pete and Marek:

The Alocasia x Colocasia hybrid that you mentioned looks a lot like A. macrorhizos. I was fortunate to examine this hybrid several years ago growing at a Hawaii taro research station. It was found in an area of Nepal where the two genera grow together. On our expedition last year to N. Vietnam, we visited a restricted military area near the China border. We found Colocasia gigantea growing with Alocasia macrorhizos. Growing among them were several plants that superficially appeared to be bi-generic hybrids. We have not had these plants tested yet to confirm this yet, so this is just a preliminary observation. If anyone is doing work in that region, I will be glad to direct them to the population for further study.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina 27603 USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax 919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent

Aroid-l mailing list