Re: [Aroid-l] Intrageneric crossing?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Intrageneric crossing?
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:28:17 +0000

From : 	Eugene Hoh <eugene_hoh@yahoo.com.au>
Sent : Saturday, January 21, 2006 8:53 AM
To : Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Hello Eugene,

I don`t remember the claims that you mention, but the world is FULL of shysters who really believe that there is a fool whose money just NEEDS to be taken every minute or so. Some claims may be based on misinformation on the true identification of a certain plant, for example I heard that there was a claim out of Indonesia of a Xanthosoma X Caladium cross, this COULD be, as the 'lines' between these closely related genera are sometimes blurred ( as they presently seem to be between Alocasia and Colocasia), and even the experts make mistakes w/ these groups. As an example of this, on pg. 208 of 'The Genera of Araceae" on the Caladium page of illustrations, 'A' and 'C' are said to be Caladium aristeguietae, this plant was ORIGINALLY described as a species of Caladium, but had been reassigned to Xanthosoma (based on a closer examination of the pollen) BEFORE this book was published, but there it is, before God and man, identified as a species of Caladium. So--- if someone used this species in a cross with say Xanthosoma acutum, they would probably succeed ( I have seen a MAGNIFICENTLY beautiful cross of Xanthosoma heribolifolium and Xanthosoma acutum done by a friend in W. Florida!), and another story of an intergeneric cross would be spawned.
By the way, I have a jackalope baby here (Jack 'rabbit' X antelope), you should see how BIG he is, and size of the horns on that little sucker, and see him hop! Any offers???

Good Growing all,

hi everyone,
Surely these are frangipani, Plumeria rubra

The 'giveaways' are what look like petiole scars on
the stem in the middle picture, the venation of the
green leaf in the lower one, and the overall
disposition of the foliage (hm... very scientific!).
Though I haven't seen these variegated ones before.
Growing up in Sydney, the appearance of Plumeria has
been "imprinted" on me - they were planted in
practically every garden in the older parts of town.
As a kid, you quickly learn to recognise the
climbable-looking little trees whose branches, evilly,
snap off and send you crashing to the ground...

Speaking of intergeneric crosses...  I'm reminded of
"x Homalocasia", the supposed hybrids between
Homalomena and Alocasia, which I gather were debunked
as a hoax?

As well as "x Homalocasia miamiensis"  (actually
Homalomena lindenii, as mentioned in Exotica), there
seem to have been "others". One I saw in York
Meredith's collection back in the 1980s had somewhat
sagittate leaves, variegated a bit like Homalomena
wallisii. (I've not seen it since, but some
Schismatoglottis look suspicously similar...)

Does anyone remember these, or know what the story

Eugene Hoh
Sydney, Australia

--- Peter Boyce <botanist@malesiana.com> wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with Wilbert about the top and
bottom image; certainly
the leaf emergence of the top image and the venation
on the bottom look
'wrong'. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the bottom
image reminds me
strongly of a member of the Rosaceae, Photinia x

The middle image I'm not so sure about - to my eyes
there are two 'aroidish'
inflorescence/infructescences in the middle of the
leafy crown. I've tried
enlarging the image but he quality is too poor to
reveal anything definite.

Aglaonema and Dieffenbachia are a fair distance
apart in terms of
relationship. Curiously, if someone posted a claim
of a Aglaonmea x Anubias
or Aglaonmema x Nephthytis hybrid (or indeed
Dieffencachia x Gorgonium!
(sorry Eduardo!) I'd be a lot less sceptical.

----- Original Message ----- From: Abrimaal