Re: [Aroid-l] Intrageneric crossing?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Intrageneric crossing?
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:59:18 +0000

From : 	Peter Boyce <botanist@malesiana.com>
Sent : Friday, January 20, 2006 10:49 PM
To : "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

I know that you are speaking about a Colocasia X Alocasia cross, not the other shown in the photos. Pete, if at all poss., check the other 'alleged cross', as Dieffenbachia has 2n = 34, 68 chromosomes while Aglaonema has 2n=40, 60,80, 100, 120 (70, 110) chromosomes. I`m NOT good at understanding the above, but they don`t seem compatable if you compare the numbers. The sexual structures of the spadix also look a lot different (the info. came from TGOA).
I can believe a cross of Alocasia w/ Colocasia, as these genera seem VERY much alike, and the lines seperating these two genera are often 'blurred', but the claim of Dieffenbachia X Aglaonema makes me wonder.

The Best,

Julius

<<If it's the same group, a Japanese botanist reported on this hybrid at the IAS Symposium in Kunming in the mid-90s. There managed to get very few seed and even fewer seedlings but they were successful. the cross was C. esculenta with I think A. odora but I'd need to grub out the proceedings to be be sure.

Pete