RE: [Aroid-l] Amorph. cross

At 01:41 PM 1/21/2006, Wilbert Hetterscheid wrote:
I wouldn't hold my breath here: Amorphophallus bulbifer is a triploid (3n = 39) and could never ever produce fertile offspring of interspecific hybrid origin. It always sets purely apomictic seeds (without any pollination) and produces "offspring" identical to the mother plant.

I am sorry, but I am not buying a ticket to see 100 bulbifer clones..........

Sorry to disappoint you....

Cheerio,
Lord P.
 you know, when plants behave like this, it makes a regular person HUMBLE.  When critters reproduce by making more of themselves without intervention, it is like, oh, call it  DIVINE. I understand  that frogs do this, which led to some interesting turns of plot in JURASSIC PARK, the worst movie of the Modern Era. but when I read the book and the dumb scientist said, oh we used some Rana DNA because our Tyrannosaurus rex DNA was a little broken, I ALREADY KNEW THE WHOLE PLOT.

Polyploidy is one of my favourite things.

hermine