[Aroid-l] IAS News

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] IAS News
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:04:15 -0800

Important Reminder: Membership Dues are >now due< for 2007-!!

The board has again opted to not increase membership rates for '07.
Renewal can be easily accomplished on-line via PayPal by clicking
here http://www.aroid.org/society/joinias.html or by mailing a check to
IAS at our trusty PO Box 43-1853, South Miami, FL 33143, USA.
Rates and further details can be found at the above link.

Your timely responsiveness will be hugely appreciated by Enid, our
Membership Chairperson (who otherwise will have to send individual
reminders).  This is especially true now that Enid's new baby is poised
to take his very first steps... as most of Enid's free "IAS time" is about to
become history ($20 says baby J heads straight for the Lasia spinosa)

For those of you who are not yet members of IAS, I encourage you to
please consider supporting the society!  It's inexpensive (i.e. a relative
bargain for those with Euros or Pounds Sterling in their pockets) and
easy to do- and helps both sustain and improve the aroid resources
available to us all; not to mention this forum and the aroid.org web site.

Some of the more direct/ tangible benefits of membership include:

- Aroideana (1 issue per year)
An incredibly diverse publication which taken in its entirety holds a
vast amount of today's current aroid knowledge, aroid history & lore.
Speaking of which... Aroideana v. 19 the "Amorphophallus Issue"
has been beautifully reprinted (it previously sold out) and is once
again available for purchase along with all other back-issues at

- Newsletter (4 issues per year)
If you've never checked out the newsletter before, I highly encourage
you to do so now.  It's a great venue for staying abreast of current aroid
events & publications, for learning of new faces in the study of Araceae,
as well as for following the exploits of the inimitable Dr. Tom Croat- our
very own Indiana Jones of the South/ Central American aroid realm...
(remember that giant rolling boulder in the first Indiana Jones movie?
Tom supposedly used it for pressing his plants).

Click here  http://www.aroid.org/society/newsletr.html  for a free sample.
We're now e-publishing in stunningly brilliant Aroid-i-Color by the way;
unlike the above examples or the snail mailed paper copies which
continue to be printed/ distributed (in the US) in Cenozoic black & white.

That said, the e-Newsletter is readily available to -all- IAS members
via the website.  You can sign up and have it delivered to your email
Inbox or you can access both current and archival issues via the left
column <Members> link from the IAS Home Page, with a password
(details can be found on the Members page in the event you have
any questions or difficulties).  From the Members page you will find
further links and special members-only items.   Don't miss out!
---

Some final words of perspective, if I may:
The IAS is strictly an all-volunteer group.  As such we have no hired
staff, no central office.  Every single thing which happens in this society:
the ongoing development and management of our web site (aroid.org);
each issue of Aroideana published; 4 annual issues of the Newsletter;
the writing and scholarship of all those wonderful articles submitted to
said publications; the annual Aroid Show & Sale at Fairchild (from set-up
to donating auction plants to working the cash registers to working the
sales floor to preparing and serving the banquet food to the final show
tear-down & clean up...); the administration of this very forum; keeping
track of membership and the creation/ management of data bases; the
ongoing sale & distribution of Aroideana back-issues; the meticulous
accounting, reporting and oversight of the Society's fiscal records...

Folks, all of these tasks and more are accomplished essentially in the
background by people who lead very full and very busy "other lives".
This bears mentioning and repeating from time to time, lest we take
any of these things or the individuals behind this society, for granted.

Your renewal or joining as a new member or making an additional tax-
deductible donation is a great way to show your support for the myriad
things this society does.  Your additional involvement and your positive
contributions in other ways are what further keep IAS alive, relevant and
moving forward.

My sincere thanks to all of you who have both kept and continue to
keep the IAS going so far.  I look forward to many more of you stepping
up to keep the body of information and knowledge of Araceae flowing.

  -Dan

Dan Levin
President, IAS
www.aroid.org