Re: [Aroid-l]Off-topic-- Rafflesia/host vine

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l]Off-topic-- Rafflesia/host vine
  • From: "Alistair Hay" <ajmhay@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:37:23 +1100

6 or 7 species of Tetrastigma are hosts to Rafflesia spp. but the principal one is T. leucostaphylum. There does not seem to be a one to one relationship between Raff species and host species.

Jamili Nais (who wrote the book) reported that they has successfully inoculated 2cm diam and 4 cm diam Tetrastigma vines with Rafflesia seeds: success indicated by flowering about 4 years later.