Re: [Aroid-l] Rafflesia flower size

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Rafflesia flower size
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:40:33 -0600 (CST)

"Largest flower" is a question that seems to interest even people without our
addiction. I've read the following several places:

largest single flower - Rafflesia arnoldii
largest unbranched inflorescence - Amorphophallus titantum
largest branched inflorescence - Corypha umbraculifera (talipot palm)

although I've also seen Puya raimondii, one of those incredible Andean
bromeliads, as a contender in the last category. The inflorescence is in the
same size range (6-10 meters), but the palm seems to win on flower count by
a couple of orders of magnitude (and probably on total weight, too).

Of course, seeing it several places may just mean most of the writers copied it
from the same original source.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-l mailing list