Re: [Aroid-l] Leaflet use for tuber production.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Leaflet use for tuber production.
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:17:18 -0500

I can say anecdotally that Amorph koratensis will grow a new tuber if you yank off the leaf and stick it in a glass (or vase) of water. Why would someone conduct such an experiment, you ask? Maybe nobody in their right mind would, but that does not preclude my mother!

I had stuck a number of tubers in the ground at her Florida house. Nothing to lose, I had extras. She thought it was a weed, then remembered that maybe it wasn't and stuck it in water before calling me. I said, "Well, leave it in water. It will either live or die. It's free to try." When I went down at Christmastime the leaf had just yellowed and there was a small funny-looking tuber that seemed to have three growth points. It might have actually been three separate small tubers.

Tony Avent wrote:

We have been experimenting with leaf cuttings on aroids for several years and are working on a formal article with our results with amorphophallus. We have had success within the genera of Amorphophallus, arisaema, pseudodracontium, and pinellia.
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent

Julius Boos wrote:
Dear Friends,

It is well known that in a couple of genera of aroids, the shed or knocked-off leaflets can and will grow into new plants. The two best known examples are the notoriously weedy and invasive Gonotopus boivinii ( I wonder if this is the only species in this five-species genus that does this?), and to a lesser extent its relative, Zamioculcas zamifolia. I am looking for any and all information on how sucessful reproduction or multiplication has been achieved in OTHER genera of aroids by using small cuttings or portions of leaf (like it has been done in Amorphophallus titanum). Information which I need should include the aproximate age/condition of the leaf cutting used, the names of rooting hormones/powder that may have been used to coat the cut ends of the leaflets, and importantly what genera and species of aroid has this method been attempted with, and which were sucessful at acheiving rooting and new tuber/corm formation. etc. I THINK that there has been information published on this, perhaps in a back-issue of our Aroideana, so if possible I also like information on when/where any publications concerning this method have been published. Please contact me off-line if you are more comfortable with that.

Thanks a million.

Good Growing,

Aroid-l mailing list