RE: [Aroid-l] New Topic - Spathantheum intermedium

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] New Topic - Spathantheum intermedium
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 04:32:10 +0000

From : 	Michael Goetz <michaelgoetz@gmx.net>
Sent : 	Wednesday, January 24, 2007 6:14 PM
To : 	<aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] New Topic - Spathanthema intermedium

Hello Michael,

The genus Spathantheum (two species described, S. intermedium and S. orbignyanum) is one of the 'oddball' South American tuberous aroids. We tried growing it here in West Palm Beach Florida, but we found that it fungused out easily, and even my buddy Bobby who grows THE best Taccarum (and used to grow Synandrospadix before we lost it to nematode attack), both also tuberous from S. America, failed w/ this one. It certainly would be a 'curiosity' to have in a collection, but I think that it may require a LOT of attention on its growing and dormancy 'seasons' to keep it alive and healthy. Ask MANY questions about growing and keeping it alive if you do buy it!
Good Luck.

Julius

Hi everyone.
Does anyone of you cultivate Spathanthema intermedium (or an other
member of the Genus)and can share experiences with me ?
I was offered a small bulb and am wondering wether to buy it or not.
Thanks & good growing,

Best regards from Munich,

Michael