[Aroid-l] Re: Rafflesia flower size

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Rafflesia flower size
  • From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail@hctc.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:46:18 -0800

> largest single flower - Rafflesia arnoldii
> largest unbranched inflorescence - Amorphophallus titantum
> largest branched inflorescence - Corypha umbraculifera
> (talipot palm)

If the talipot palm has the largest branched inflorescence,
that must be truly immense; because many's the time I've
seen Agave spp. in bloom, with an inflorescence the size of
a small tree -- that's bigger than the parent plant!  The
dead Agave inflorescences, after they fall over, really
could be mistaken for logs or fallen trees.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large