RE: [Aroid-l] Cinnamon Fungicide

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Cinnamon Fungicide
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:31:21 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, D. Christopher Rogers wrote:

> Doug wrote:
> "I dust the plant with my fungicide of choice- cinnamon powder, the stuff
> you put on your oatmeal.  This works remarkably well to reduce fungal
> problems in the high humidity."
> I have not heard of cinnamon as an antifungal powder. Doesn't it burn the
> cut? How effective is it? Does anyone else use it? Are other things better
> or worse?
> Christopher

I'll say up front that I've not tried it myself, but I've seen quite a few
references to it, and I know several orchid growers who swear by it. Apparently
no issues with tissue damage from the cinnamon itself.

Most of them are trying to avoid the use of other fungicides which they
consider more toxic/dangerous/environmentally unfriendly, and obviously aren't
doing rigorous controlled comparisons. But some of them are very experienced
growers who have used a lot of products over the years, and they seem to feel
it's pretty effective for both preventing and curing fungal problems.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-l mailing list