Re: The Many Faces of Taro

  • Subject: Re: The Many Faces of Taro
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:43:04 -0800 (PST)

Dear Jason.

Aloha.  From your Aroidiana article, I know you've
been at large in Hawaii.  Were you studying
naturalized aroids in Pohnpei?

Were you able to learn details about the indigenous
use of the various taro in Micronesia?  How they
prepare and cook the various forms, etc?
Do the native Pohnpei people consider their plants
sacred as in Hawaii?

Now were you able to see ruins of Nan Madol?  I would
be interested to know if there are any agricultural
evidence associated with the archaeological
site....especially Cyrtosperma.  Did you witness any
evidence that Cyrtosperma endures brackish conditions?
How about Metroxylon amicarum, the Caroline Ivory Nut
Palm?  Did you see any evidence of cutural
associations with this species and are the native
people currently utilizing any parts ethnobotanically?

Aloha,

Leland