Re: Meconastigma philodendrons

  • Subject: Re: Meconastigma philodendrons
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:00:23 -0800 (PST)

Dear Brian.

Aloha.  What a great service you have done by posting
this wealth of visual information.

Is there any way that you can post the original
information on the photos?  You mention that these are
seedlings grown from a Brazilian source...what were
the original identifications associated with seeds?
This may have no bearing on the final assessment, but
it would be valuable information to track.  Just from
a quick look at your Meconostigma file, it appears
that you have many photos of a hybrid swarm.  At any
rate, some of these plants are highly ornamental, and
I commend you for growing all of these forms out.
What a process that must be.  I must say that it takes
individual interest and industry to keep up the
volume.  Congratulations.

Is there a specific procedure to post comments on the
photos, or does one have to sign up with Flickr first?
 I highly recommend that anyone interested in the
subgenus Meconostigma take a look at Brian's photos.
These illustrate the great diversity of plants out
there.  The plants illustrated may not represent many
species, but each one has a variation that is

Brian, have you labeled each of these clones as
individuals?  It may be advisable so we can track what
is going on here.  Each plant needs to be associated
to the photo and to the original identification from
Brazil.  Put a unique accession number that stays with
the plant or each vegetative propagation of it.  Any
comments can be tracked to that plant and we can get a
handle on identifications or parentage.

If you can photo the stems and the intravaginal
squamules of the plants associated with the leaves,
this will be important.