Off-topic: botanical news of 2008?

  • Subject: Off-topic: botanical news of 2008?
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:50:07 -0600 (CST)

Apologies for the off-topic post. I know the diverse botanical and
horticultural interests of this group and I can't think of a better one to

I'm looking for interesting botanical news from 2008 - anything from
remarkable new plants that were discovered (such as Tahina spectabilis),
interesting taxonomic changes (such as the proposal to sink Sophronitis
into Cattleya), events in horticulture (the demise of Heronswood) etc.

There were a lot of stories, but many were just reported widely in 2008,
with the work being done earlier - in some case much earlier (i.e., 2000
year-old Judean date palm [Phoenix dactylifera] seeds germinating, which
occurred in 2005 but was widely reported in 2008).

Pointers to stories or sources would be appreciated. Reply just to me,
please, unless you think it's of general interest to the list - which,
given those diverse interests, covers a lot of territory ...

Thanks in advance,

Steve (desperately searching for copy)

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com