What I really really want ...

  • Subject: What I really really want ...
  • From: "derek burch" <dburch23@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 21:28:22 -0500

I should have said 'What I really, really need, but I don't think that
anyone has written a song about that. Anyway, what I really, really need if
the Cultivar registration is going to get off the ground is HELP (now
someone did do a song with that title - or am I showing my age).

On Aroid-l there is a section on Cultivars which includes a list of names
that were known to be out there a few years back when people worked on that
list. We need to bring the list up to date (a moveable feat here). That is
the first bit of the assistance needed. Then I need to know for as many as
possible the name of the print publication that has a date and shows the
name and a "description' (as brief as "extra-large red flower ...) or an
image. That "establishes" the cultivar epithet (that is its name).This is a
term that the International Cultivar Registration Authority, the Big Boys,
defines, and it has to have happened before an application to register a
name can be made. That isn't quite true for applications that will come in
for new name registration since I can do the establishment of the name and
then pronounce it to be registered within a couple of lines of print - never
mind about that for now. What I need is knock off this huge backlog of
cultivar names, and I can't and won't do that alone.

So, fingers on buzzers to volunteer to take over a genus or even to let me
know of the one name whose place of establishment you know. Someone can do
the dates of all the plant patents granted for me - all contributions
gratefully received. But I am not going to work alone on this. Is the
International Aroid Society up to the task, or shall we be about the only
major group that can't do this to straighten out names for its favoured

derek@horticulturist.com will reach me off aroid-l, which is probably the
way to do it.

Sleep well tonight, your registrar probably won't. Derek

Aroid-L mailing list