Re: Off the wall question from a newbie. preserving the blooms

  • Subject: Re: Off the wall question from a newbie. preserving the blooms
  • From: chris palmer <palmerchrispuppy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 05:04:07 -0800 (PST)

Aloha to you too.
The epoxy is basically a casting resin.
I have a couple of days before I will run the trial.
I was hoping to have a specimen fully coated with the resin so it would stand alone, like a silk flower.
I am just unsure how to get the resin to cure fast enough and get it to adhere to the moist surfaces.
I will probably dilute the resin down enough so I can use a spray gun the coat the bloom.

I thought about the fumed silica technique but thought it would not work on the stalk and would require a lot of material. It still might be worth a try sometime, maybe on one of the summer blooming arums.
If my Titan's ever bloom, first job will be to get viable seeds, then work on preserving the bloom.
Heck 6-8 years for them to bloom, by then maybe I'll have a viable preservation process ;-))))

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I'll post a note on how the trials went.
Best Regards,
Chris