Re: aroid recommendations

  • Subject: Re: aroid recommendations
  • From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:27:23 +0100

Hello,

I think Pistia stratiotes is not representative as a typical blooming aroid, its lnflorescences are highly reduced.

Typhonium, Dracunculus and other "coloured" tuberous aroids are insufficient to grow indoors. They require a lot of light. I grew a few years ago an Arisaema amurense - http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/arisaema/arisaema1.htm at home without additional lighting, just on the window and it bloomed normally. The easiest Arisaema I think is A. flavum but it needs to spend a winter in a cold place.

I don't recommend Spathiphyllum if you are a botanist. All plants sold in the shops are cultivars.

Best,
Marek