Stylochaeton natalensis culture question

  • Subject: Stylochaeton natalensis culture question
  • From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy@zoominternet.net>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:55:58 -0500

I was hoping that someone might be able to provide some info on the culture of Stylochaeton in general and the sp. natalensis in particular.  I realize from the IAS site that little is known of this rare genus, but maybe there is some insight out there that can be shared.  Is anyone actively growing these plants??  There was one pic from Wilbert of a different species but little information to help in growing them.  I know I am going to be able to get S. natalensis and perhaps 2 other species that have yet to be formally described from Sekhukuneland which I have heard are more ornamental.  I know they are summer growers and totally dormant for the summer, but that is about it.  What sort of soil, water, light, etc.??  I obviously will ask the person I can get them from, but would like to get any additional info that I can so I am somewhat prepared for these fellas once I get them later in the spring or early summer.

Thanks,

Dan Devor
Gibsonia, PA