Re: Aquatic aroids

  • Subject: Re: Aquatic aroids
  • From: Zach DuFran <zdufran@wdtinc.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 08:55:50 -0600

Taylor-
The most common Aroids in the aquarium hobby are the Anubias and Cryptocorynes.  You should be able to find these pretty easily in local pet stores.  Even the big stores like PetsMart and PetCo will carry plants from these two genera.  Anubias are very easy to care for in a low light aquarium and do not require extra CO2, as many aquarium plants do.  When you get Anubias, you need to attach them (with string, wire or fishing line) to a rock or driftwood.  The rhizome will rot if buried in your aquarium substrate.  If you have very much light on your Anubias, you might have to fight algae on the leaves.  Use algae-eating fish or scrape the algae away carefully by hand, rather than using chemicals which would damage the plants.  There are about 4 or 5 common species of Anubias you should be able to find (nana, barteri, coffeefolia are the most common).

There are lots of species of Crypts that do well in the aquarium.  Unlike the Anubias, Cryptocoryne rhizomes like to be buried in the soil.  Be careful when you transplant these into your soil.  They are kind of fragile.  Also, Crypts have a tendency to lose all of their leaves shortly after being transplanted, but if left alone, they will usually recover in a couple of weeks.  Different species of Crypts will tolerate different light levels, so try to find ones that will be happy in your environment.  Do you have a suitable substrate (aquatic soil) in your aquarium for planting the crypts?  Most pet stores carry aquatic soils that you can add to your aquariums now that you are planting in them.

Good luck and have fun!

Zach DuFran