Re: great Photos from Joep Moonen!

  • Subject: Re: great Photos from Joep Moonen!
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:08:17 -0800 (PST)

Dear Steve,

I started seeing Anthurium similar to your first photo in Minas Gerais, Brazil, many years ago.  I suspected then that these were hybrids.  I have since seen other such plants in collections under various names that are not officially recognized.  I grow something very similar to the plant illustrated, but I do not assign it any name.  Mine has the velvety black black-green blades of several species...ie. Anthurium magnificum, etc.  The lateral lobes are present, but I do not know where this characteristic comes from.  Perhaps someone with hybridizing experience can enlighten the forum on this.

Now.  There is an Anthurium being sold out there called Anthurium chamberlainii...another unofficial name, if I am not mistaken.  It is quite a beauty with deep red new growth and a tulip form inflorescence.  I suspect this is a hybrid...but, someone with more hybridization experience should comment.  This comment is a tangent on the subject, not an identification on the second photo.