Re: Andean tubers

  • Subject: Re: Andean tubers
  • From: Don Martinson <llmen@wi.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:27:00 -0600

Title: Re: Andean tubers
These Andean natives could be any of the following:

Yacón (Smallanthus sonchifolius)
Oca (Oxalis tuberosa)
Ulluco (Ullucus tuberosum)

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:llmen@wi.rr.com

On 1/1/10 9:50 AM, "ju-bo@msn.com" <ju-bo@msn.com> wrote:

Dear All,

Happy New Year to ALL of you ''out there''.

It did solve the riddle of the ID`s of several tubers I used to see for sale on the tables at the native markets in Ecuador.  I had assumed that most were just vars. of potatoes.  It turns out that they are not related to potatoes at all, many are ancient foods of the Incas!
There were also listing of sources in the USA where some of these rarer tubers could be purchased!
Anyhow, the Best to all my many friends on Aroid-l for 2010!

Good Growing