Book on tubers ("chubas"!)

  • Subject: Book on tubers ("chubas"!)
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 15:50:26 +0000

Dear All,

Happy New Year to ALL of you ''out there''.

As many may know, part of my interests involve edible tubers (''chubas'' to me).
I was given a most interesting book, "Buried Treasures, Tasty Tubers of the World", published by the Brooklyn Botanic Garden--region guides, ISBN #`s 13: 78-1-889538-34-1 and 10: 1-889538-34-5.  I believe my friend purchased it on e-bay.
Most interesting reading, though there were several errors in the I.D.`s on several photos.
There were several of our well-known edible aroids, the taros, eddoes, Xanthosomas (tannias), Amorphophallus konjac, etc., but some new edible aroids to me, Arisaema triphyllum and the Nepalese sp. A. tortuosum.
 It also taught me that there is an edible form of Canna Lily (!), that the giant banana Ensete ventricosum is used as food (not the fruit, but the cooked tender rhizome and stems!), that common cat-tails are edible, and the greatest surprise was that the terrible weed Nut sedge (Cypreus esculentus) was a crop, and that the drink listed on the menu`s of nearby Mexican Taco resturants for the cold drink "horchata de chufa'' or ''rice water'', was made from this!!!  I WILL be sampling this very soon!
It did solve the riddle of the ID`s of several tubers I used to see for sale on the tables at the native markets in Ecuador.  I had assumed that most were just vars. of potatoes.  It turns out that they are not related to potatoes at all, many are ancient foods of the Incas!
There were also listing of sources in the USA where some of these rarer tubers could be purchased!
Anyhow, the Best to all my many friends on Aroid-l for 2010!

Good Growing