Re: Anthurium blight

Good info!  Thanks!

Steve

Jay Vannini wrote:
Steve:

Glad to have been of service.

Several clarifications appear in order.

- IMO, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that anthurium blight is not already in everyone's exotic aroid collection who is reading this, either manifest or latent.

- From old lab work I know that I have had at least three separate introductions into my own, from South Florida nurseries (1999-2000), from a domestic anthurium cut flower source (1998-2000), and from a commercial supplier in South America (this was diagnosed from tissue collected at port of entry by our Ag Ministry lab in 2003...at that time Xanthomonas campestris-positive did not require destruction of the plants so they were waived. Needless to say, I quarantined the blazes out of this and all subsequent commercial imports through 2006. Following ratification of DR-CAFTA we are now under the regional one size fits all rule...these plants would be incinerated if this import occurred today).

- Based on the protocol I outlined earlier, I grow many flawless, very blight-sensitive Anthurium spp. in close proximity to other plants with minor blight halos evident on leaf edges and have images to prove it.

- For George Yao's benefit, what I outlined in response to your initial posting IS an IPM-inspired protocol for control of this blight in private and public collections.

- Commercial growers have a vastly different set of challenges and require a very different protocol for blight management and require a somewhat different approach (see below).

- I have the short form product data sheet for Agri-mycin formulation that I use (manufactured at Pfizer's Toluca plant in México) before me. A correction to an earlier statement I made...it is in fact 15% streptomycin sulfate and 1.5% oxytetracycline + inert balance, not 17% streptomycin as I wrote. In any event, in free translation the sheet reads that the product is "recommended" for "control of the following diseases": "...bacterias caused by the genera Xanthomonas, Erwinia and Pseudomonas" in the "following crops": "Ornamentals"...Philodendron, Dieffenbachia, Aglaonema."

- At yesterday's market close, Pfizer, Inc. market cap was almost US$ 160 BILLION.

- If, say, it were revealed that Pfizer, Inc.'s ag-chem division was making manifestly false claims regarding the efficacy of one of their mainstream products then, say, a well-heeled large ornamental plant grower might be tempted to sue their pants (and big pants they are!) off.

- Agri-mycin can provide very effective suppression (not cure) of anthurium blight in COLLECTIONS OF ORNAMENTALS when used properly in conjunction with a broader IPM-inspired protocol. It is NOT a panacea nor a silver bullet to eradicate anthurium blight and neither I (nor Pfizer) would ever claim that it is. However, it certainly can provide suppression to a point where healthy, well-grown plants can prosper with it latent in their environments. My own fairly large blight-susceptible aroid collection, plus several published sources, proves it.

- IMO, and as diplomatically-put as possible; anyone who claims otherwise doesn't know what he/she doesn't know.

- If a given grower blithely continues to challenge their blight-susceptible tropical aroids with environmental (note: IME, lousy water quality aggravates anthurium blight in delicate plants for certain) or management issues, this critter will ultimately (often in short order) decimate all those vulnerable plants and nothing short of Divine Intervention will save them. Don't waste your money on ag-chem if you are not willing to practice clean culture - it won't really help.

Thus, from a hobbyists' perspective, successful management of this nasty pathogen requires a certain mindset and quite a bit of discipline with regard to handling and triage of visibly-affected plants. Believe me, it works. Conversely, commercial growers have, in the past, been faced with no other economically viable option other than having to destroy their entire blight-susceptible inventory and start afresh with new cultivation protocols and blight-resistant stock from micropropagation. This also works, but at a very steep price.

All those here who are willing to properly dispose of the entirety of their exotic aroid collections just because they contain some suspicious-looking or blight-diagnosed rare plants and start all over with those handsome (the colors!!!) tissue-cultured, mass-produced, PATENTED (no unauthorized asexual propagation, folks) anthuriums, aglaonemas, alocasias and philodendrons, please hold up your hands.

Didin't think so...

begin:vcard
fn:Steve  Lucas
n:Lucas;Steve