Re: Supervolute vernation. Finally a photo!

  • Subject: Re: Supervolute vernation. Finally a photo!
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:24:48 -0600

Thanks Pete.  This is slowly becoming clearer!  Tom and I have been bouncing email over this for several days.

I did notice something strange about the plant you helped to ID as Philodendron pusillum.  I showed the photos to Eduardo and he appears to agree.  The plant has grown larger blades since then which I need to show to him again for confirmation.

A few months ago I noticed it was producing a new blade that appeared to be involute but the one opening now is going to be convolute.  A photo is attached.

Any ideas?

Peter Boyce wrote:

The point about convolute is that the next leaf in the module is enclosed within the current leaf. In aroids all except Lagenandra, the pachyneurium Anthurium, and Amorphophallus (all of which are involute) are convolute, with the individual leaves supervolute. See Stearn, Bot. Latin 343-344, Fig. 29 368 & 369.

JPEG image

fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list