Re: Temperature requierements for Helicodiceros

  • Subject: Re: Temperature requierements for Helicodiceros
  • From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:07:21 -0800 (PST)

I live in Canby, OR, USA (zone 7 something).  Our normal winter temperatures go below freezing and sometimes into the teens and somewhat rarely down into the single digits, all with a great deal of rain.  I have grown D. vulgaris for over 20 years outside with no protection at a depth of about 4"-6".  I was surprised at how well it grew.  One winter the temperature fell to just above zero F. for about a week.  I don't know if this is unusual or not because it's the only one I've ever grown.  It emerges in March-April, flowers in June-July and goes dormant in October-November.

Sheldon Hatheway

I live in zone 7a, so I don't risk leaving Dracunculus vulgaris (which has similar requirements as Helicodiceros muscivorus),
so I cultivate it at home. It is dormant through all the summer and autumn, it wakes up in December, blooms in February and soon after it goes dormant again. Here's my page: