Re: looking for three Philo IDs

  • Subject: Re: looking for three Philo IDs
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:45:19 -0800 (PST)

Dear Brian,

Aloha.

These are Philodendron subgenus, Philodendron.  Start by looking at  the ,Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden, 1997, Volume 84, Number 3...A Revision of Philodendron Subgenus Philodendron(Araceae) for Mexico and Central America, by Thomas B. Croat.  Tom may be in the field, and he may know if he can see your photos.  Unfortunately your photos are only of sterile plants and that is difficult to determine positive identities since there are several similar species.  Panama has the greatest number of endemic Philodendron in this subgenus...in Central America...IF your location is correct. This may narrow your search.

Many plants are easier to identify if accurate locality data is recorded.

Aloha,

Leland