Re: Interesting Arisaema triphyllum

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 JimMcClem@aol.com wrote:

> Jim Waddick wrote:
> >Dear Ellen;
> >        Can't fill your fantasies, but did get seed from NARGS seed
> >exchange listed as "A. triphyllum "Variegatum" with two sources: Louis
> >Myers, Hawley, PA and William Dress, Ithaca,NY. Any chance you know
> >either/both and what is the "Variegatum' part?
>
> In the '93 Nargs list was the same seed from Myers (address then Brooklyn). I
> got it and am growing on all 3 seeds. Last summer noted that the leaves of
> one of the plants appeared similar to the 'Mrs. French' variety, with
> accentuation of the veining pattern, but nothing that I would call
> "variegated".
>
> Ellen, Professor Dress is a friend of Nina's (he translated the Latin
> description of A. bockii for me last year), so you should be able to get the
> lowdown on his plants. I don't know of anyone ever describing a variegated
> leaf form of A. triphyllum. What about it, Guy? Ray? Roy?
>
> Jim McClements

Jim McClements - as it happens, I called Bill Dress this afternoon to
ask about this plant.  As you said, it doesn't sound exactly stunning;
he described it as having yellow shading around the main leaf veins,
and not very pronounced at that.  Sounds a bit chlorotic, really.

I'll try to get to Ithaca (only 2 hrs) to see it when it leafs out,
and will take some pictures if I do.

Ellen