Re: Arum colchicum?

Dear Ellen

Spotted your email regarding Arum colchicum. This name does not
appear in the Arum book because it doesn't exist! From the locality I
would guess that it will be one of three species: A. orientale, A.
maculatum or A. italicum. In NE Turkey there are populations of a
very small Arum that seems close to either A. maculatum or A.
italicum ssp. amoenum with definite leanings towards the latter and I
would guess from the desciption that Arum colchicum is part of this
group.

Biarum does not occur in Russia. The furthest north Biarum reaches is
Corfu/Albania. Another possibility might have been one of the
northerly Emnium species (e.g. E. koenenianum) but, if it was, then
it would be a new record for the genus in Russia.

Pete

Peter Boyce
Herbarium
Royal Botanic Gardens