Re: Fwd: Out-of-print Arisaema book

To my knowledge there is only one book on Arisaema, Udai Pradhan's book.
It has been out of print until recently when the second edition was
published.
It is:

Udai Pradhan 1997. 'Himalayan Cobra-Lilies (Arisaema) Their Botany and
Culture', Second Ed.
Primulaceae Books, West Bengal, India  ISBN 81-85423-04-0

It has become available recently through the NARGS Bookstore, for NARGS
members, but the
supply is short. It is also available from the Alpine Plant Society in
the UK.

Copies of the original edition are extremely scarce, but I know one will
be available
at the NARGS Winter Study Meeting in Research Triangle Park, NC.

The book deals with Himalayan species and is thus not comprehensive. Yet
many of the 3-400
species are indigenous to this region. Perhaps the most glaring omissions
are the Japanese
species and North American species since many of the Chinese species also
grow in
the Himalayan region.

The cultural information is good for most species. The KEY is easier to
use than that
of Flora of China or the Japanese keys, but of course it is not
comprehensive. However,
there is no comprehensive KEY for the genus.

Ray
<GRSJr@Juno.com>

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:42:13 -0600 Jmh98law@aol.com writes:
>Here's another referral to an out-of-print book resource for botany
>books.
>
>Jeanne Hannah
>
>Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:42:29 -0500
>From: "Archer's Books" <archers@megsinet.net>
>Subject: Re: Out-of-print Arisaema book
>To: Jmh98law@aol.com
>
>Dear Ms. Hannah:
>
>While I am amused and delighted to learn that the Araceae have their
>own web
>site, I can't seem to come up w/ the title you're after.  Not only do
>I not
>see
>anything on the shelves, I don't even recall anything here on them for
>a long
>time.  You would do well to try Eugene Vigil at vigile@Kreative.net as
>he
>maintains a very large inventory of botany books.
>
>Jmh98law@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Dear Mr. Bauer,
>>
>> Someone on the Aroid-L site suggested you as a possible source for
>an out-
>of-
>> print book on Arisaema.  Unfortunately, I can't recall where I read
>about
>it,
>> and I did not write the title down.  [It was something simple like
>"The
>> Arisaema Book"]  I search in all of my usual OOPS sites
>[out-of-print book
>> websites], but could not locate it.
>>
>> Might you have it, or know where it might be obtained?
>>
>> Jeanne M. Hannah
>> 17623 Whispering Trail
>> Traverse City, MI 49686
>> (616) 223-7864
>
>--
>Sincerely,
>Paul Bauer
>Archer's Used and Rare Books
>Catalogues issued in Baseball, Botany & Gardening, True Crime, and
>Rock &
>Roll,
>Blues, Jazz, and Folk Music.
>330/673-0945
>104 South Lincoln St.
>Kent, OH 44240
>USA
>

>--part0_916440120_boundary--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]