Orchid Thief Discussion

To All,

Aroid-L is an internet mail list to which anyone on the internet can
subscribe. Given that, anyone participating on the mail list should
consider themselves as participants in a public forum. We are all here
on this particular mail list courtesy of the Missouri Botanical Garden
and the International Aroid Society. Because of these courtesies granted
to us, we all must take care in any statements we send to the list to be
certain that nothing is being stated that could potentially harm our hosts.

We have a discussion thread in process dealing with a book and a
particular individual who is a subject of that book. Several Aroid-L members
have had particularly distressing experiences with the subject individual.
One note received at the list processor this afternoon reflected that
experience but did so in a way that could be used as fuel for litigation.
Another received tonight was similar.

After consulting with Steve Marak, our other list-owner, I have decided to not
post these particular messages and have notified the senders of that
decision. The decision to not post the messages was based soley upon our
desire and obligation to protect our hosts. Everyone should know that in the
several years that we have enjoyed this forum, we as moderators have had VERY
few opportunities to decline messages, and this is certainly a credit to all
list members. Neither of us wants to turn away list messages. While
we could have simply not posted them and gone on without comment,
we believe that given the present topic a note to all was appropriate.

Thanks for your consideration.